Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My thoughts on Spearfishing

            In the early spring of 2010 I had the opportunity to work with Dr. Peter Houk, a biologist in the Division of Environmental Quality.  Dr. Houk was conducting a survey counting the quantity and quality of the fish caught by spear fishermen in the fish markets; my job was to measure and record the lengths of those fish caught.  After seeing and handling all the beautiful fish before my eyes, I came to the realization that it was the hunt and the raw energy that imbued the hunter, becoming the fish inside of him.  It intensified my desire to become a spearfisherman.
            Peter Houk offered to take me spearfishing with Scott Russell, both very experienced long time spearfishermen.  We ventured outside the reef on Scott’s Boston Whaler.  It took nearly half an hour to reach our designated coordinates guided by Peter’s waterproof GPS.  The bow of the boat slammed against the rough waves, tossing us around like exploding popcorn.  We slowed down as the GPS began beeping hysterically, informing us that we had reached the somewhat invisible coral reef we were supposed to fish at.
The sun disappeared  behind the clouds and the water turned a deep, impenetrable blue.  I looked over the edge of the boat and saw my confused countenance peering back at me as I searched for the bottom.  Being my first time at this spot, I could not come to realize that we were actually floating above an underwater mountain 40 feet beneath the surface. 
We tossed the anchor overboard and Scott dove in to guide it.  Suited up in a camouflaged wetsuit with all the necessities of a diver, he disappeared beneath the surface and about 45 seconds later, he reappeared with a large Unicorn Fish wriggling at the end of his spear.  Peter caught two Groupers in the first ten minutes and I was ready to catch my own fish.
My open ears digested the wise words of these experienced fishermen.  I learned the ways of spearfishing and expanded my knowledge on the sport.  The most crucial point to spearfishing is an individual’s breath-hold. Without a long breath-hold, it is nearly impossible to stealthily creep up on a fish for the final kill.  From the first day working in the fish markets all the way to this memorable experience with Peter Houk and Scott Russell, I knew that I wanted to be a spearfisherman.  I practiced underwater exercises to increase my breath hold, applied the knowledge I learned, and the next day I caught my very own fish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment