Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Page 110 of my 400 page autobiography

           I was ten years old when I finished 6th grade.  That was a great year for me.  I was finally coming into my own, understanding myself and my friends. My friendships became stronger till the bond became unbreakable. That was the year that I learned the capitol of every state in the US.  I would play games with my grandpa in the summertime seeing who could get more state-capitol questions correct.  Of course I would always win, for I had memorized each of the 50 capitols by heart.  I took much pride in myself for doing this. Nevertheless, when the next year came by, all but several capitols were gone from my memory. That summer I spent at my family's lake house in Oregon with my cousins.  It was a time where you didn't have to worry about schoolwork, or other responsibilities.  It was a summer of fun under the sun, where pure joy and happiness of young kids pierced the hearts of businessmen, men with no freedom.  I knew from seeing these men envy our play that I would never get a job like that.  No, my job would be one on the ocean, or out in the wild examining animals.  Or it would be building bridges across great mountains or even conducting a team to create an underground tunnel.
         That summer my cousins and I entered a go carting race. We built our car out of scrap plywood, two by fours, nails, axles and tires from the dump.  My grandfather helped us build it, thats probably why we won the race.  He was once a professional race car driver, so he was very intelligible on the aspects and fundamentals of car building. The race happened on a sunny day above the lake. Our course was to race down the hill, weave through cones, and go off a small ramp into the water.  For this last thing, our car had to be a boat at the same time, which we created from an old bit of fiberglass.  My cousins and I zoomed down the hill, flew through the air, and glided onto the calm surface of the lake.  Rejoicing our win, we all ran back to the lake house for a celebratory meal of roast turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, and a big salad of fresh greens, which at that time none of us kids liked.  After that, we all went for a swim in the refreshing waters and went home to our beds, snuggly, warm, and content with our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment