Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tokyo Life


Tokyo, Japan
           We are amidst the chaotic hustle and bustle of Japanese life in Tokyo. In the underground train station, several thousand people pass by at a quick pace, always needing to be somewhere at a certain time. Businessmen in suits, couples, parents with their children, and groups of school kids headed to their destination with no distractions. This is one of the most descriptive ways to describe the Japanese people: an infinite loyalty, a strong mentality, and most of all, a dependable personality.
          As I watch what seem to me an overcrowded station, and an outburst of people walking in every direction, I come to realize that this is normal.  I tried to picture myself in this lifestyle. I see myself with stylized hair, a premeditated outfit, yet a bit garish for my taste, consisting of several specifically designed layers of clothing, friskily on my way someplace. In each direction looming buildings block my view of the sky, which is nonetheless cloudy most of the time. It is obvious to me that I could never live a life working in a cubicle of an office, hurrying to and fro, and at the same time it empowers me to work harder realizing there are half a million people doing that every day.
          However, there is also a feeling of Zen and peacefulness among the people.  Once you step out into the countryside you're entire view of Japan changes.  The artistic gardens, the steep, tiled roofs of temples, the walkways through trees, and the serene ponds running through it all creating this amazing land. The hillsides are filled with life among flowers in the springtime, and are still when the snows come. I am sure I could live in this beauty.  Being from the islands gives you this lifestyle which is so easygoing and calm you don't have to worry about offices and luminescent lights. Nevertheless, Japan is an incredible place.

No comments:

Post a Comment