Thursday, August 19, 2010

Article about SIS's Student Parking Lot

Greetings Reader!

This column will be directed towards the Saipan International School’s advantages, disadvantages, and things that the students would like to change.  Ultimately, the final written work of this column will be based on currently attending student’s feelings as well as my own. In this column in particular, the discussion will be based up on SIS’s student parking lot.
            Now for all of you high school kids out there that drive to school themselves, you know exactly what I mean when I say that the parking lot dedicated to the students needs a LOT of work. Either someone needs to find a way to pay for some repairs, or should I say, any construction at all, or students should be allowed to park next to the high school or in the teacher’s parking lot. Now I have counted the amount of student drivers, and I have seen how many empty spaces there are outside of the high school and a few in the teacher’s lot.  Other drivers and I would easily be able to fit in these spots. 
            Any of you that do not drive, you are probably thinking, “Ah it doesn’t matter, I get dropped off nearly right at the door.”  However, you do not know how much a hassle it can be.  Our Physical Education teacher is the only teacher I know who also parks in the student parking lot from time to time.
            Teachers may complain about students being late for class.  A way to fix that is let the students park in the actual cement parking lot! Now if you are 10-15 minutes late, there is not an excuse, but for 5 minutes there is.  It usually takes an extra 3-5 minutes to get to the muddy parking lot, get your supplies for school out and walk to the high school.  Maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but I know for certain that every student driver will vouch for me that our student parking lot is nowhere near ideal.
            The rainy season is right on our doorstep and will be ringing the doorbell very soon. I will not be surprised if our parking lot is soon underwater. A few of these mornings I have had to wait inside my car for it was raining outside and I could not afford to get my books or my bag wet.  This is only on occasion, but it will be much more frequent as we near what Saipan calls “winter.”  What I want YOU to do is, after you have read this, tell your friends and your parents about this problem and help bring the idea of a new student parking lot.  As I mentioned previously, you yourself might not worry about this for you may have your own ride.  Nevertheless, one day very soon it may be you making the treacherous journey through puddles and mudslides to school.

-Kai Staal. Reporter for Saipan International School’s Newspaper

No comments:

Post a Comment