Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Good Morning Bali

Driving through Bali's exquisite villages, I was filled with the utmost respect and compassion for the people residing there. In my opinion, Balinese people are some of the most loyal, friendly, and honest people out there in the world today. These people are hard workers, and although there is the occasional "rip-off", it is easier to let go if you use the famous expression, "Put yourself in someone else's shoes."  The desire to have enough paper money in their hand to feed themselves and their family is hardly a reason to despise them at all, for that desire lies in every person and in every soul.

The local shops and stores passed by, more than I can hardly think to remember. Each one of them filled with the most delicate and intricate wood carvings you may ever see in your lifetime. As I closed my eyes that night, tribal masks, laughing Buddha's, mahogany walking sticks, and intimate beings carved in love danced before my eyes. Once I realized the immense effort put out to create such exquisite pieces of art, and the low income profited from the labor, I found it hard to believe these people could support a family on such a business. They figure it out and prosper not so much in money, but in happiness. Balinese people are such happy people you could never imagine what they go through every day. With this in mind, I appreciated my life, holiday, friends and family more than ever.

Names for the Balinese are very important. The name that is given to the child often carries a symbolic meaning and is believed to affect the child's life. Once the baby is 12 days old, there is a special name-giving ceremony called 'ngerorasin'. Names are given by order of birth: 1. Wayan 2. Putu 3. Made 4. Nyoman 5. Ketut.  The most memorable Balinese person I have ever met is a man named Nyoman. I like to call him Nyoman Superman, for he is the best driver Bali has to offer, and drives with a superman-style. He is sometimes called, "Saipan's best", for most people that go to Bali have connections with him. Nyoman asks how people are doing that live on Saipan, and has a deep hearty laugh when we tell him a joke about the economy.  The famous words that this gentle man enjoys saying are of his own: "FLIPPY U-EE!" (his term for doing a U-turn in on coming traffic) "WHALLOP!" (he will teasingly "wallop" you if you say something funny)  and the best for last, his elongated "AWEEEESOMME!" When these words are spoken by him and a twinkle in his eye, you are left with a big smile and a warm heart.
Nyoman-Superman and I in Bali,

That is all for tonight. I hope that when you read this you will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it.
Kai

No comments:

Post a Comment